Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Pumpkin Song



I've known my friend Debbie for many years and when our children were young 
we got together very often. This time of year we would celebrate Halloween together
either with a birthday party for my son or just a gathering for everyone.
She would always sing the pumpkin song:
(I have no idea who to credit this song to!)

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate
The first one said,
Oh my it's getting late!
The second one said,
We don't care!
The third one said,
There are leaves in the air!
The fourth one said,
I'm ready for some fun!
The fifth one said,
Let's run and run and run!
Then whoosh went the wind and out went the light
and the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.

It would usually be her singing alone and the kids would laugh.
This year I was there for her granddaughters birthday party, they had gone 
pumpkin picking and then carved their pumpkins. Of course the song
had to be sung. But what a chorus she had to sing with her, her daughters and
their children and a few friends. It reinforced in my mind how important 
traditions are, even one so simple as a silly song. It binds us and gives us memories.

So this time of year with the holidays fast approaching, we are all scrambling
to get as much done as we possibly can in this last quarter of the year, remember
that it really is the little simple things that leave the most lasting impressions.

Enjoy!

Sue DiGilio - digiliodesigns.etsy.com

No comments: