Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY Bunting Tutorial

Simple Fabric Bunting


 I love the way bunting looks as decoration for a room or a display, and decided I would make some with my old Laura Ashley fabric.  I had gone to England in my twenties and bought fabric from their stores and from Liberty of London, and they've been sitting mostly in boxes since then.  It doesn't look like that particular style is coming back so this seems like a good use to put them to!


I decided on triangular flags 5" by 7.5" and cut out a pattern on graphing paper.


My supplies consisted of a yard total of different fabrics in aqua, white and lavender, a half yard of fusible web, and two packages of extra wide double fold bias tape with thread to match.


I cut 8" wide strips of fabric and folded them in half length wise or 16" wide strips of fabric and folded them over to make them 8"x45" strips.  Then I cut 8" wide lengths of fusible web, slipped them between the layers of fabric (printed side facing out) and ironed them all together.


Then I placed the pattern on the ironed fabric, marked the corners with pencil and using a metal straight edge, cut out the triangles with a fabric rotary cutter.  Then I'd just rotate the pattern and cut another triangle from the other side, so there was no wasted fabric!


When I'd finished cutting out the flags I laid them out on the table to check on the color order and the length of the bias tape, which was 3 yards.


I pinned the triangles inside the folds of the bias tape with two pins per flag - one pin isn't quite enough for me, at least.


Then I used a zigzag stitch to sew the triangles in place.  I made loops on the ends by just folding the bias tape back and zigzagging over the edges.


Done in a day and a half!


Can you guess my favorite colors?  I don't change much over the years!

Jody

www.astudiobythesea.etsy.com

[Etsy+avatar.jpg]

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the colors you chose for this, looks great! :)

Debi said...

Thanx Jody. This is great! I agree with M, great colors.

HuzzahHandmade said...

Wow, that's some pretty fancy fabric and looks very sweet, and vintage.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been wanting to make a bunting sign for my booth and now I know how!

DiGilio Designs said...

Me too, I have wanted to do a bunting sign for my booth, but was thinking paper. I like this idea much better. Thank you for the tutorial :)