Thursday, June 9, 2011

Member Spotlight - A Girl & Her Dog


Tell us a little about yourself
I'm Jenn Lee Bunker, my pooch is Casey Double Burger Samich, she is a Boston Terrier named after Good Will Hunting, and our (yes, Our) shop is inspired by her! My love for animals and others' love for their pets is how our Etsy shops were born. And our little joke is~while everything thing I craft isn't based on Casey, she thinks it should be.

I work with a lot of silhouettes as well as some vintage images of girls and dogs. And yes cats too. And sometimes even boys.

We live in New York city part time and Garrison part time. Casey isn't a huge fan of NYC, so she spends more time in the Hudson Valley than I do! And while she is super camera shy, you won't see her modeling much for the shop, but she is a great Facebook Promoter! She has over 1300 fans for our shop page and more than 3000 FB friends. While I have about 300.

What is your professional background?
I am in book publishing, I am a copywriter and work in Ad Promo. I am a writer at heart.

What led you to your current craft?
Oh see #1. Casey. It's all about my pooch. And pretty things.

How do you feed your creativity?
I love to sit back and look at all of my finished projects, and especially at all of the supplies I have, and items I don't know what to do with--and sometimes a brand new item is born! Like the Leash Holders, I had wood, I had lovely knobs from Anthropologie... I already had the screen prints and paper and paints...and WaaLa! I really just like to make things that I love and want to keep.



How do you work deal with a creative block?
I will finish up other things, like painting sides of frames, or sealing leash holders, gluing pins to the brooches. There is always busy work. Stickering bags, stamping boxes and notepads! I also always have more than one project going on, if I'm not in a jewelry mood, perhaps I will screen print. Or leave crafts alone for a while and go Write. Or most likely, Play with the dogs and kids! Also looking at art, being outside, shopping (on Etsy and otherwise) looking at lovely colors and things always helps the brain power.

Describe your work area.
I have a room in a basement with new shelves for drying, and its messy and full of crafts and supplies and it is all for the art. I have a great desk top, or two, to sit and do the work on. I have no guilt about split paint or glue. It's a great space, even if it isn't too pretty! I'd love to work on that though...

Favorite time of day to work?
Evenings.

How did you end up on Etsy?
I started buying on Etsy after the local newspaper did a huge article on it a few years back. I knew I wanted to sell on it too eventually. Now I have two shops, http://www.agirlandherdogshop.etsy.com/ is my pet lovers shop and http://www.jennleebunker.etsy.com/ is still transitioning into my other items, like my Starving Artist line and picture frames that aren't just screen printed with dogs!

Other than your supplies & materials, what do you want with you on a stranded island?
My dog! And music, a notebook, and diet Pepsi.


Any guilty pleasures?
Oh, do I have guilty pleasures! Boybands, CW shows and WB repeats, 80/90's freestyle dance music.... And they all inspire me, because they are So much fun.

Words of wisdom for aspiring artists?
Just keep creating! For years I made crafts that were fun, and not very artistic. Eventually I found my niche, and am still aspiring... And still making crafts just for fun too.

http://www.agirlandherdogshop.com/
http://www.agirlandherdogshop.etsy.com/ and http://www.jennleebunker.etsy.com/
www.facebook.com/agirlandherdogshop
www.twitter.com/AGirlHerDogShop

1 comment:

Beyond the Picket Fence said...

Too cute! Love your style :)