Thursday, March 3, 2011

Member Spotlight - Janum


This week you get to meet Majd Jauhary-Nayfeh from the delightful children's clothing shop Janum. Born in Jordan, she currently lives LaGrange, NY

What is your professional background?
I am a nutritionist. I worked as a nutritionist in a hospital then as a research assistant at Harvard University. I went to NYU to get a Masters degree, I have a few credits left to finish.

What led you to your current craft?
My kids. I love making things for them. I first started with hair accessories (previously Princess BowBow), I then ventured into clothing and changed my business name to Janum.

How do you feed your creativity?
I am always looking for color combinations and ideas, always surfing the net. If I like something (not necessarily clothing) I think about why do I like it, is it the color combination or the material choices...etc


How do you work deal with a creative block?
I try to take some time out. Relax and do something other than sewing. This usually jogs my inspirations. I then go and check my journal where I periodically sketch some new designs and write down some new fabric combination I would like to use.

Describe your work area
I have a small room off of our family room, it is ideal since the kids can be playing and I can work in my own space yet be very close to them.


Favorite time of day to work?
Mornings, I am a morning person. I like to start working after the kids are off to school and I have tidied up the house.

How did you end up on Etsy?
With my first business I was on Ebay until they changed many of their rules and it became very hard for a crafter to sell there. When I started getting ready to open Janum I decided that Etsy is the best fit for my type of work.

Other than your supplies & materials, what do you want with you on a stranded island?
My kids and husband ..oh and chocolate !!

Words of wisdom for aspiring artists?
QUALITY...seriously, quality is what keeps your customers coming back and bring you more customers. Pictures are very important as well, you want to make sure your items are very well represented. Whenever I make or design something I ask myself this question: Would I buy it? It has to be something unique, affordable, beautiful and very well made.


Become a fan of Janum's work on Facebook

8 comments:

Debi said...

Great interview Majd! Love your shop & your beautiful children!

Coco Delay said...

Great pics! Loved reading your story.

Lizzy Lizano said...

Adorable shop! The photos on this post are fabulous.

becky nielsen said...

Enjoyed getting to know something about you. Love the colors and fabrics that you use!

Jackie Andrews said...

Wonderful job, as always, Marilyn. I adore your photos Majd -- and your beautiful work!

Majd said...

Thanks everyone and of course thank you Marilyn :)

Rebecca said...

I love your story! I'm going to school to be a nutritionist!

Lyudmila Klebansky said...

Love your shop, Majd!