Thursday, February 17, 2011

Member Spotlight - Felt it


This week you get to meet Anne from Felt It, where you can find cute items made from Eco-Felt from clothes, tissue cozies, bags, ornaments and more.

Tell us a little about yourself
I am a SAHM of one 3-year-old daughter and an inner city high school teacher currently on child care leave.

What is your professional background?
I have always loved to make things, even as a small child. I have especially loved working with fibers and textiles. My mother has been a quilter for most of my life and always encouraged our creativity and experimentation. "Creative mess is better than idle neatness" is a saying that my mother had posted in her studio throughout my life.

What led you to your current craft?
I have always loved to make things, even as a small child. I have especially loved working with fibers and textiles. My mother has been a quilter for most of my life and always encouraged our creativity and experimentation. "Creative mess is better than idle neatness" is a saying that my mother had posted in her studio throughout my life.

For many years, cross-stitch was a pastime that I enjoyed. When I moved to NYC, my students learned how to crochet in an after school program and I became fascinated by the range of fibers that were available. I am just learning how to crochet now. At the time, I had chosen to take up knitting rather than crochet and was able to teach many of those same students the art of knitting. That process took on a entirely new perspective when a couple of the students wished to learn how to sew. It renewed my passion for sewing that I had originally inherited from my mother, the quilter.

The tissue cozies began as graduation gifts for my students to take to college. Something that I had handmade with a specific meaningful image for each student. The students and parents liked them so much that I was encouraged to extend the project. Felt is also such a comforting textile. It is completely nonthreatening or intimidating for children and adults alike.

How do you feed your creativity?
My creativity is fed through trips to craft shops, fabric stores, yarn shops, libraries, book stores, and the many, many blogs on the web.

When is your favorite time of the day to work?
My favorite time to work is in the morning and/or evening.


How did you end up on Etsy?
It was my husband's suggestion that led me to etsy in 2007 and it had led to so many other opportunities for me professionally and personally.

Other than your supplies & materials, what do you want with you on a stranded island?
If I was trapped on a desert island, I would have to have my ipad (with mifi) that is loaded up with tons of books, music, and mags.

Any guilty pleasures?
Guilty pleasures consist of bad movies...mainstream, campy, heart-breaking, classic, and even trashy. I love to watch them while I am stitching.

So, here I am... experimenting, stitching, and creating new designs, structures, and crafts for myself, for my friends and family, and now for others through my Etsy shop.

Become a fan of Felt It on Facebook or follow on Twitter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm super jealous of your work space but you knew that already. :)

Debi said...

Great interview! Love your studio.

Neely Coyote McCormick said...

Your studio is divine! I love a red room!