Thursday, May 19, 2011

Member Spotlight - The Illustrated Rat

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Drusilla and I'm originally from NYC. My background is in commercial art (storyboards & comps) and a few years ago I started venturing into doing watercolors. I am a long time pet rat owner, and cater to that market. While I "branded" myself The Illustrated Rat, I do artwork and portraits of all animals and people too. That is the name of my Etsy shop.


What is your professional background?
Advertising, doing comps and storyboard work. I also illustrated 3 small press children's books.


What led you to your current craft?
Much of my work was done with markers (in the pre-Photoshop days). I always loved the look of watercolors and finally decided to try it. Both my late husband and I did artwork featuring our pet rats, and it kind of turned into a cottage industry. Other kinds of pet portrait became the logical next step. Professionally I was always drawing people, especially children, so doing people portraits came naturally.

How do you feed your creativity?
I am now trying new things, acrylics and more crafty type items. I always try to have some project in the works.

How do you work deal with a creative block?
Wait it out. Go hiking...or shopping LOL.

Describe your work area.
I have a medium size studio with a view over the buildings to the mountains. I use a drawing table and have supplies on shelves.

Favorite time of day to work?
Afternoon.

How did you end up on Etsy?
I got a printer that formats greeting cards and started to make them from my artwork. Etsy seemed a good venue to sell them.

Other than your supplies & materials, what do you want with you on a stranded island?
Ipod with good speakers. I need music.

Any guilty pleasures?

Too many.

Words of wisdom for aspiring artists?
Study and practice.

Follow Drusilla and her work at http://www.illustratedrat.macwebsitebuilder.com
blog:  http://illustratedrat.blogspot.com
etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Drusilla
The Illustrated Rat Fan Page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Illustrated-Rat/226810075165

1 comment:

Debi said...

Nice Interview Drusilla. I love your work.